Some the features that increase your property value are obvious-like a remodeled bathroom, a modern kitchen, or a sought-after neighborhood. But here are a few features and circumstances you have not have realized can affect property values.
- The neighbors: Not every neighborhood or community has an HOA that can keep the neighbors from going overboard with decorations or neglecting to care for their home. Homes adjacent to crazy neighbors can potentially be undervalued. Homes with a strong family element or many community events are often highly sought after.
- Trendy groceries and coffee: Recent statistics suggest that if your home is a short walk from popular grocery stores like Whole Foods or coffee chains like Starbucks, it can actually appreciate faster than the national average.
- Mature trees: A big beautiful tree in the front yard is enviable, and it’s not something that can be easily added to any home. Homes with mature trees tend to get a little boost in value. Artificial turf and smart landscaping in the front or backyard can also increase your property value.
- Parking: This isn’t too much of an issue if you live in the suburbs or in a rural area, but residents in dense cities can have real problems with parking, and homeowners might need to rent a spot just to guarantee a place to park each night. That’s why having guaranteed parking in urban areas will raise property values.
- The front entrance: First impressions matter to buyers-many will cross a home off their list within 10 seconds of stepping through the front door. An appealing front door, a friendly entryway, and a functioning doorbell are all necessities for getting top dollar. Cut back those hedges and make sure all windows are open to let in the light. A clean garage door and a fresh coat of paint on the house also help!
If you are getting ready to sell your home, and looking for advice on the best ways to increase your property value before listing, we would love to meet with you. One of our favorite things is helping our home sellers stage their home, and prepare for the fun of selling! Contact us today to get started!